Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Discover Math

This is my favorite personal little joke: my parent's, in naming me Mathew (one t please) were describing my future outlook on Math. Ew.

Thankfully, I wrote for a living, because I am not so good at math. Take this egg problem I read in Discover Magazine.

You have 9 eggs. One of them is heavier than the other 8. You have one scale and can make as many different groups of measurements you want. The fewest is 2. Can you explain why?

The thing is, this is a logic question, which I'm generally good at. But the simple thought of Math clouds my head. I hope that when Autumn starts school and needs help with her Math homework, this little glitch in my head won't stand in the way of me helping. And just for the record, while mom doesn't have a Math joke built into her name, she's not so hot at Math either. But we can both turn a phrase, so we'll help Autumn write great essays.

Anyway, I'll post the math answer a little later.

1 comment:

Matt. said...

The idea is to find the heavy egg. but I forget the answer. I'll get back to you today