Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Canada: a small world

Canadians, when traveling to the US, are weary of the following situation. We're in a bar, or at a restaurant in the US, and it's discovered that we're Canadian. "Hey, you're Canadian", they say, "I know a guy from Canada. His name is Bob. He lives in Vancouver."

What pisses off a Canadian living in Toronto isn't that the American thinks Canada is a small town in which everyone knows everyone. What generally pisses them off is that the American probably has no idea how far away Vancouver is from Toronto. It's the basic lack of awareness of Canada that pisses Canadians off. And here's the thing: it's sort of pathetic.

Here's why. Canadians consume American culture and take an almost perverse pleasure in pointing out Canadians who invade said culture. William Shatner, Alex Trebek, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, that guy from Will and Grace... all Canadian. I once wrote an essay explaining that Canadians are like American's little brothers. While they grew up and moved out of their parent's house, Canadians didn't. Canada sort of pulled up a basement apartment.

Deep down it sort of bugs us that Americans think Canada is a small place where everyone knows everyone. But more so, it bugs Canadians because there is no reason for anyone to really know anyone. I was once in a bar in Chicago. The whole, hey, you're Canadian, I only know one other Canadian conversation came up. "He lives in Winnipeg." The guy said. If you look at a map, Winnipeg is a long way from Toronto, where I was living at the time., but I let him go on.

"His name is Kerry Burtnyk."

Now, you should know that Kerry Burtnyk is a big time curling guy. He's won 2 briers and been out there on tour for a long time. I've played him a bunch of times. Point is: I know him. And thus, I helped perpetuate the myth that Canadians know Canadians.

I am telling you all this because this morning I got a call from a friend of Rhona's. Melissa is the person Rhona went to see with Autumn in Florida. Anyway, it turns out Melissa was sitting at dinner in one of those Japanese Restaurants where they cook in from of you. They seat you with strangers and said strangers get to talking. Mellissa was seated beside a couple of Canadians, from Toronto. Which is where I am from. you can see where I am going. Toronto is a city of 2.5 million people. On a workday, it swells to 5 million. Thus, the simple fact that he's from Toronto, and I'm from Toronto means didly poo. At least it should.

Melissa knows one person from Toronto -- me. So, she say my name to a guy who I happened to go to school with, Hayes Steinburg. It should be pointed out that I haven't seen him for 10 years.

No comments: