Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Music

I'm not that big into music. Not like Rhona. Still, I like music. I like to listen to it, I like to watch it, and I like to sing. I sing badly, but that doesn't mean I don't do it. Anyway, the other day we were watching Shut up and Sing, the documentary on the Dixie Chicks. And their song, "Not ready to make nice" came on. And it gave me the chills.

Rhona had long talked about getting the chills from music, but it was a rarity for it to happen to me. But this song did. And it got me thinking. there's another song that I really like. It's a song by Green Day called "Holiday". Both have a killer lyric that says a lot about the times we currently live in.

In "Not Ready To Make Nice", the lyric is:
I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don’t mind sayin’
It’s a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they’d write me a letter
Sayin’ that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

It's a powerful song, sang with real emotion. Here's the song:



In live versions of Holiday, Green Day introduce this song with the line, "This song is not anti-American, it's anti war". The lyric in this song comes near the end. The first time I heard it, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
Sieg Heil to the president Gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government




I'll admit it. Both songs give me the chills. And while we're at it, here's another two that you might have never heard. The first is a true protest song. Absolute. The sad part is that this is from 2004.



And finally. This song isn't a protest song. But Midnight Oil is one of my favorite bands. And this is one of my favorite songs. I was going to link to information about the band, but then I began reading stuff on Peter Garrett, the bands lead singer. About how he now is a member of parliament in Australia and he supports the US-Australian alliance, whatever that means. Here's the song anyway.



There you go. Music that moves me. What moves you?

No comments: