Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Going to sleep

We're lucky. We have a happy baby. At ten months old, we can pass her around to people, and she'll smile and laugh, and maybe even make raspberry noises. You could be so lucky.

However, there is a moment where she gets grumpy. I suspect it's the same with all kids. She gets grumpy when it's time to shut 'er down. Rhona and I both have our separate moves for getting her down. Mine is the left arm lock. I sit on the rocking chair, and lock her left arm under my right arm. That leaves her right arm to flail, but I can hold that down. She arches her back, locks her legs, and then wails.

It's really kinda cute.

On some levels, I don't want her to be upset. However in this case, I have to bear down and stay with it. Eventually, she'll do face wipes (a sort of rubbing of the eyes in which she misses and hots her whole face), and she'll slow down.

Then, a huge last ditch effort to stay awake. This is the loudest and fiercest complaint. And in our early parenting, we might have thrown in the towel and brought her back down. For us though, we now know what it is. We know she's ready.

About 15 minutes ago, she went down. Giving me a chance to post this. When she wakes up, we'll go and enjoy what appears to be spring out there.

No comments: