Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Acura 1.6 EL RIP

Certain times in life deserve a moment of reflection. Just the other day, I surrendered the plates to my car. My car was sold. At the time I bought ‘my car’, I was a single guy living in Toronto. My car was the most expensive thing I’d ever bought in my life. Almost as much, for a used car, as we paid for our new cars.

It was my ride. Smooth, with leather seats, a sun-roof, a cd player, my car was fully loaded. It was more than I needed at the time. I lived in Toronto. I worked in Toronto. I used my car to drive to Brampton to curl with my dad. Then of course, I met a woman. And my nice new car turned out to be an effective way to hatch a long-distance, international love affair.

When I moved here, I brought my car. And it became a pain in the ass. It didn’t exist in the US, so getting it fixed meant going to St. Catherines. It was called a 1.6 EL. The 1.6 stood for litres, and they just don’t have them in the US. Thus, the car didn’t exist.

Still. Getting rid of my car, is a moment. It’s a throwback to nights on the porch on Cambridge. To living in a house with three other guys – no picnic in a 1700 square foot house.

This isn’t meant to be a lament. I love my life right now. I love the interaction in the morning with Rhona and Autumn. I love looking at them smiling together.

This is just a moment in my life. And, the point of this blog is mark them. So, bye car. I’ll miss ya. FYI, this is the last picture we have of it. A nice way to remember it, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice acura 1.6 el rip post! Thanks for intesting info! More Acura can be found at http://www.auto-portal.us/