Pages

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Annoyances

I'm home today with a little sick girl. She's still coughing like a long-time smoker, so we're off to the doctor today. We'll keep you posted.

But because I have to do some work, I pulled out the pack and play. It's better containment. Of course, she sort of looks like she's in jail.



Anyway, I'm listening to the radio and I hear two things this morning that sort of bug me. The first, I think, is an Americanism. Tuna Fish Sandwich. Why the word fish? Is it because people weren't sure? If it was just Tuna Sandwich, would they find themselves slapping their heads when they find out Tuna is a fish? Or is it because of the people nicknamed Tuna. Would they think they were eating Bill Parcells sandwiches?

The second is when in hockey, a player commits the offense of going offside, and Buffalonians say he went offsides. It's singular. If he continues to be called offside, it's perfectly find to say, wow, Danny Briere has committed a lot of offsides in this game. But when it happens once, it's singular. That was offside. That's it.

1 comment:

Matt. said...

That's likely it. That, or it's because of McDonald's calling their sandwich a a Tuna Fish Sandwich. Is that right?