Pages

Friday, March 06, 2009

On sleep

When Gavin was born, I knew this year was going to be tough. While Autumn generally sleeps through the night, she does have the whole 2AM potty call.

"Moooooooom! I gotta go potty"

Luckily, most of these calls come 35 seconds after we leave the room for the first time after books. It seems that she is incapable of thinking about the potty until the lights are off, and the parental unit has left the room. So we can handle that.

Mostly.

But Gavin. He's suffered a double ear infection, followed by a cold. I know that he gave me the cold. I remember the moment that I was holding him, and I turned for a second and he put his mouth on my nose, and his goobers when up my nose.

Toilet paperImage via Wikipedia

Pleasant stuff.

Since then, my nose has been running non stop. I've gone through two boxes of tissues, and now I have a roll of toilet paper on my desk to collect the snot. And worse, this morning Rhona was laying in bed feeling like crap.

But this isn't about us.

This is about a year. At one year, sometime in June, we'll get to the point where he'll sleep through the night once in a while. Then, once in a while will turn into all the time.

And yes, they'll both be up at 6:00AM, a time that I usually take in the weekdays to let Rhona sleep in a little more. But moving forward, it has the potential to let one of us sleep in.

A little more.

Because right now, we're both on the edge of sanity.


Add to Mixx!





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: